What is Our Schools Matter?
Our Schools Matter is an effort to strengthen communities, by lead pastors, youth leaders, churches, and students each adopting and serving their schools.
The need in our communities is real. From student poverty, fractured families, teen issues and pressures, to stressed school budgets and decaying facilities, they all take a toll on educators and the goals of each school. The church is uniquely poised to help support and draw a community together.
From adults volunteering in classrooms to churches adopting to serve specific needs of a school, together churches and schools can build a better student and community. There is no agenda other than to serve.
Our School Matter provides...
Lead Pastors and Churches...resources to adopt and serve their local schools.
Youth Leaders and Students...with specific resources just for them!
After you Download The OSM Kit
How to get started...
- Connect with your Youth Alive® missionary. Your Youth Alive® missionary can help guide you and your church leadership team.
- Select the school(s) you desire to serve.
- Talk to your local school administration.
Set an appointment with your school administration.
Inquire what are the schools needs and the church’s desire to support their work to educating students.
Let school officials know you and your church leadership will have some conversations on what they can do.
- Decide What You Can Do.
Discuss with your church leadership on what your church can do. Any need, can be made scale-able for any size church.
Begin to create an action plan to respond to the need, what will be needed: funds, supplies, people and when it is needed.
Consult with your Youth Alive® missionary for additional ideas or resources.
- Contact the school administration to let them know how your church would like to serve their school.
- Identify a coordinator from your church who can help enlist people and lead the effort to the school.
- Launch the vision to the local church by having an Our Schools Matter Sunday.
This can either be used to raise the needed supplies/funds or to rally people to join the effort when the service is needed.
- Share your Story. Share your Our Schools Matter stories, photos and videos using #ourschoolsmatter